- What or who inspired you to start writing? I was actually first inspired to write by Startrek, if you can believe it. I LOVED that show when I was a kid... my favorite fantasy was to fall in love with Spoke... You heard it right; Spoke. Just loved those beautiful eyes!
- How did you come up with ideas for your books? Most of my ideas come just before sleep. That's when the Muse really likes to torture me. Then I have to get up, write it down, or spend all night laying there developing the idea.
- Have you ever written a supernatural book before? If not, can tell us a little about why you wrote this one? Not really. I write epic fantasy, which is very similar, but a lot more formal. I've always loved paranormal and especially ghost stories. There is that quintessential lure of thrill, fascination, and terror that make them very appealing to me. This was the first opportunity to write one and I loved every minute of it. Plus, it is a comedy, which I also love writing.
- Do you ever watch Ghost Adventures or any of the supernatural shows that are on TV? I am a sworn fan of Ghost Hunters and most other shows featuring real ghosts. Ghost Busters in in my top five all around best movies, I have personally seen 4-5 ghosts and actually lived with one for a couple of years, and I have in my list of future project a ghost story that defines the trust, tolerance, and love of an older couple who have been married for many years. I don't think I've seen Ghost Adventures, but I don't watch a lot of TV.
- I went on a ghost tour in Florida, visiting a graveyard and an old Spanish prison. I'm sorry to say we didn't see any ghosts. Have you ever been on a ghost tour? If so, where and did you see any ghosts? If you could go on a ghost tour where would you like to go? New Orleans, hands down. We were there and had an opportunity, but my DH just couldn't do it, so we passed ~sigh~ However, one day I'll go back and do it. I went on an underground city tour of Portland doing research for this book and am pretty sure I saw one in the century old pub where it stopped.
- If Keenan came into your home, what would he think? That my house was pretty empty, considering.
- What expertise did you bring to your writing? I've had a few incidents with ghosts personally and have read lots of books. Plus I'm a rabid "Ghostie" so I LOVE ghost stories. I've also got four published novels under my belt. I hope I get a little better with each one.
- What would you want your readers to know about you that might not be in your bio? That I am 1/4 Greek on my father's side and named after my grandmother.
- As far as your writing goes, what are your future plans? I have lots of books scheduled over the next couple of years; the other two Ghost books, another ancient Rome book featuring a fabulous Egyptian pirate; 2 more Starsight (my epic fantasy) books; a Sci-Fi about the first half alien/half human hybrid who finds out she can kill with her voice, another ghost story taking place at an old inn on the Oregon Coast, just to name a few. There's always ideas in the coffer. :o)
- If you could be one of the characters from any of your books, who would it be and why? I would love to be Delia from The Centurion & The Queen. To be that close to Marius? Hubba-hubba! :o)
- Do you belong to a critique group? If so how does this help or hinder your writing? I actually have an amazing critique partner and a group of beta readers that I couldn't do without. They see so many things I don't see and keep me honest... It absolutely helps my writing.
- When did you first decide to submit your work? Please tell us what or who encouraged you to take this big step? My kids talked me into rewriting a book I had written 30 years ago and I did.
- What is the best and worst advice you ever received? (regarding writing or publishing) Best advice - Get off your ass and write, damn it! - Worst advice - Maybe you should take up knitting instead.
- Do you outline your books or just start writing? I do now because it helps me write faster. I didn't when I first started. I had to develop that habit.
- Do you have any hobbies and does the knowledge you've gained from these carry over into your characters or the plot of your books? Music is usually somewhere in all my books. I am a singer and have been when I sang my very first words, a line from The Flower Drum Song (I think it was 100 million miracles).
- Do you have an all time favorite book? I have read The Lord of the Rings series (beginning in 1969) probably a dozen times. I am also hopelessly addicted to Nero Wolf books.
- Have you started your next project? If so, can you share a little bit about your book? The next project is The Gladiator Prince coming out in August. Here's a blurb:
THE GLADIATOR PRINCE - Excerpt
a historical romance
by Minnette Meador
Book III of the Centurion Series
RELEASE DATE: August 17, 2011
Prince Thane is the last surviving royalty of the Trinovantes Tribe in Roman Britannia, having surrendered to the Romans after the Boudicca Revolt to save his two daughters, whose identities he sacrifices his freedom to protect. He is condemned by Nero himself to become a gladiator, to fight until he dies in the arena. When his two daughters are taken in a slaver's raid, Thane escapes, forcing the daughter of his master to take him to Rome to save his children. Little does he know that the beautiful Syrian woman holds not only the key to his passion, but a secret that triggers a disaster that ignites the world. Will this spoiled willful girl betray him in the end or sacrifice herself to save them all? Book III of the Centurion Series.
- Your interview will be posted before July. Is there a family 4th of July tradition or recipe for that day you would like to share? My potato salad is a family favorite: Potatoes, mayo, a dash of mustard, finely diced onions and celery, chopped boiled eggs, celery seed, garlic powder, salt, pepper, a smidgen of dill weed, and lots of stirring.
- What is your favorite reality show? I really don't watch them. I watch Idol the first year, but I don't have a lot of TV time anymore. Oh, and I have a secret passion for Tots and Tiaras... :o)
- Who is your favorite sexy actor? I have always been in love with Sean Connery. Even older he is still a fox.
- Anything else you might want to add? Just that I am so honored to be here and hope everyone will follow my blog hop. I'm giving away 2 Kindles, 2 Portland Totes full of goodies, a $100 GC to Amazon, and lots more in drawing of anyone who comment on any of my blog hop stops. Just go to http://minnettemeador.blospot.com and you'll find a complete schedule with links. Keep in mind you can still visit most of the sight since they are still live, thus increasing your chances of winning.
Thanks so much for inviting me! You guys are the best... Minnette :o)