Friday, July 04, 2008

There are so many interesting sights in New York city as well as the fascinating history. We all know that the Dutch settled on the southern tip of Manhattan Island and the English on the northern part. What I didn't know was that the Dutch who were terribly afraid of an English invasion built a wall across the entire island to protect themselves. It was at this wall they did business with the Indians and other traders. Unfortunatel this wall did not protect them. The English invaded successfully and took over the island. The wall the Dutch built later became Wall Street the heart of our financial district. Soemtimes when they are doing new construction or tearing down old, they find parts of the origional wall.

I'm trying to figure out how to write a 30,000 word novella. My books have all been over 90,000 words. So I look at this as a huge challenge. I suppose I will have to plot, plot, plot and do more plotting. Again I usually have a general plot and then work from there letting the characters guide me. I don't think that philosophy will work this time.

If you write novellas, please log in and let me know how you go about plotting and keeping the word count low.

No comments: