ANOTHER PICTURE OF THE PARTHENON
The travelers found that today didn't quite go as planned. We had decide to go to the Temple of Poseidon but were delayed because of car trouble. Not sure when we are going to go. Instead we rested and planned more excursions. We shopped and brought gifts.
Our daughter's husband, his brother and girl friend took us to the 360 degree club in Athens. It's a place where the music blares and the drinks are fine. There is a 360 degree view of Athens from the roof of a hotel. I had my first Ouzo and loved it. A new favorite drink.
We left the kids and came home. Old folks need their rest!
Recipe of the Day: Chicken Souvlaki
Chicken Souvlaki features the fresh-tasting combination of lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil that is so prevalent in Greek cuisine. Serve it alongside a Greek salad of chunked tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, and feta cheese. Tzatziki is a traditional Greek yogurt-based sauce flavored with lemon, garlic, and crisp cucumbers.
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into (1/2-inch-thick) slices
- Cooking spray
Here is another recipe for Tzatziki Sauce. I would definitely recommend using Greek yogurt and not the low fat for the real traditional taste. (at least the first time.)
- Tzatziki Sauce:
- 1/2 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded, and shredded
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, mince
- To prepare souvlaki, combine the first 5 ingredients in a zip-top plastic bag; seal and shake to combine. Add chicken to bag; seal and shake to coat. Marinate chicken in refrigerator for 30 minutes, turning once.
- Remove chicken from bag; discard marinade. Thread the chicken and zucchini, alternately onto each of 4 (8-inch) skewers.
- Heat a grill pan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add skewers; cook 8 minutes or until chicken is done, turning once.
- To prepare tzatziki sauce, combine cucumber, yogurt, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1 garlic clove, stirring well. Serve the tzatziki sauce with souvlaki.