Sunday, October 27, 2013

Christine Presents: Fira

Fira is the capital city of Santorini. It is located mid-island and from different parts of the city one can see the caldera and the ocean on the other side. Fira is situated above the old port. Most if not all of the cruise ships still use the old port. From the port one can reach the city in three ways: by donkey, by the tram or by walking up the steps which zig zag their way across the steep slope.

The ferry, which we took from Crete to Santorini and back uses the new port. One can reach Fira either by taxi or bus. We took a taxi from the port to our hotel but when we returned the next day we rode the city bus. My husband likes to ride in the front of the bus. OMG, I thought the bus was going to plunge over the cliff with each hairpin turn. Needless to say, I closed my eyes so I wouldn't see my ultimate death. Well, I'm really not over dramatic but we did reach the bottom in tip-top shape.


From a restaurant on Fira looking at the caldera.
Looks much the same as from Oia.



Walkway of expensive gift shops on Fira. This is the first thing the cruise ship passengers see, dubbed the Gold Street which is lined by aggressive jewelry sales people and expensive restaurants. Down below their on many more affordable shops and cafes. Between gold street and the main traffic street is a cozy labyrinth of streets with the islands top museum and a pair of cathedrals.

While Oia is more famous for its sunsets, Fira's are also beautiful. 

Recipe of the Day: Spinach pie but I haven't tasted it yet, so I'm waiting.






1 comment:

Rosemary Indra said...

Lovely pictures. I've enjoyed see the different architecture.