Monday, December 12, 2011

Plotting Bunnies vs. Garden Bunnies


Source: youtube.com via Aimee on Pinterest


I learned something new today. I found out what a plotting bunny was--never heard the term before. So, you ask, how or when did I hear it? My son who is doing interviews for his first book Blood Veins. As it turned out I asked some of the writers loops and discovered the answer which I passed on to my son.

so here are some quotes from http://www.wikiwrimo.org/wiki/Plot_bunny


"Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen." --John Steinbeck

plot bunny is a story idea that refuses to go away until it is written. The term's origin is unknown but is known to predate NaNoWriMo. Because plot bunnies tend to multiply quickly, the term is thought to be related to the oft-quoted John Steinbeck quote about ideas and rabbits.
The NaNoWriMo forums offer several resources for the care and handling of plot bunnies. Unwanted bunnies can be put up for adoption in the Adoption Society forum--prior to this forum's creation in 2010, they were offered in the Plot Doctoring forum. Plot bunnies that the writer wants to write later can be left in the Plot Bunny Day Care Center in the NaNoWriMo Ate My Soul forum, where they can breed with the plot bunnies of other Wrimosand be cared for in the finest fashion.
The care and history of plot bunnies is described in detail in Ilea For's "Plot Bunny Fields Forever: A Study in Plot Bunny Care and Husbandry", transcribed by Leo Fair.
Despite the similarity in name, the plot bunny is not synonymous with the plot ninja.

I guess I need to look up plot ninja. Maybe we will see what that means tomorrow.

I know I have had a million plot bunnies. I also know I have stories that are half written. Are those plot bunnies too?

How about you. Do you have plot bunnies hiding somewhere waiting to be heard?
Do they make noises?
Garden bunnies make noises...I think...I am a city girl.

No comments: